Virtual Happy Hour this month, Jun 28, we'll be getting a sneak preview at our soon to launch SaaS CMS!

Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

The WebSocket instance cannot be used for communication because it has been transitioned into an invalid state

Vote:

Hi!

We just upgraded a client to latest EPiServer version and see this erro rin the event viewer:

Exception information:
Exception type: WebSocketException
Exception message: The WebSocket instance cannot be used for communication because it has been transitioned into an invalid state.
at System.Web.WebSockets.AspNetWebSocket.ThrowIfAborted()
at System.Web.WebSockets.AspNetWebSocket.CloseAsyncImpl(WebSocketCloseStatus closeStatus, String statusDescription, CancellationToken cancellationToken, Boolean performValidation)
at System.Web.WebSockets.AspNetWebSocket.CloseAsync(WebSocketCloseStatus closeStatus, String statusDescription, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
at EPiServer.Shell.UI.Messaging.Internal.DefaultWebSocketHandler.d__7.MoveNext()
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
at EPiServer.Shell.UI.Messaging.Internal.PushMessageHandler.d__7.MoveNext()
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
at System.Web.WebSocketPipeline.d__9.MoveNext()

Websockets have been installed on the server.

Anyone else seen this error?

Oct 25, 2016 15:21
Vote:

Is this consistent? This can occur if at time websocket was not open.

Have you checked, If projects are setup and notifications are working?

Oct 25, 2016 16:44
Vote:

@jesper I'm seeing this as well. Windows Server 2012 with WebSockets enabled. Did you find a resolution?

@kkhan I see the projects toolbar at the bottom and changing projects refreshes the edit view. I can also access the project overview.

Nov 29, 2016 20:40
Vote:

Hi Jesper,

Have you solved it?

May 03, 2017 10:21
Vote:

Hi Jesper,

Sorry to awaken such an old thread, but did you ever figure out what the issue was? I'm seeing the same exception, in a load-balanced setup with Windows Server 2012 R2. 

Aug 22, 2018 13:11
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.