Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Problems with installing MS SQL 2008 Express

Vote:

Hi!

I have major problems with installing Microsoft SQL 2008 express. I'am trying to follow this guide on how to set up an Epi Server site from scratch. This webpage doesnt work at the moment (110703) by the way: http://www.frederikvig.com/2009/12/introduction-create-an-episerver-site-from-scratch/

Iam running Windows XP SP 3, and according to Microsoft, SQL 2008 Express should work on the OS.

So, i tried the web platform installer from MS, version 3 (not version 2 that Frederik refers to, very briefly).

I pick Microsoft SQL 2008 express from the list of database applications that is listed in the platform installer, after a few minutes it says:
"we are sorry, the following applications couldnt install", no more. And I dont understand the logs. The funny thing is that I get the application folder in the start meny and I can start the server management tool, but the service is disabled and I cant start it "the service didnt respond" or something like that it says when clicking "play".

So I unistall SQL and try this installer, http://blogs.msdn.com/b/petersad/archive/2009/11/13/how-to-install-sql-server-2008-r2-express-edition-november-ctp.aspx, "Microsoft® SQL Server® 2008 R2 Express with Tools", then when trying to install I get another error message:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Microsoft .NET Framework. Unhandled excpetion has accorued in your application.
See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.Configuration.ConfigurationErrorsException: An error occurred creating the configuration section handler for userSettings/Microsoft.SqlServer.Configuration.LandingPage.Properties.Settings: Could not load file or assembly 'System, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089' or one of its dependencies. Det går inte att hitta filen. (C:\Documents and Settings\HM\Lokala inställningar\Application Data\Microsoft_Corporation\LandingPage.exe_StrongName_ryspccglaxmt4nhllj5z3thycltsvyyx\10.0.0.0\user.config line 5) ---> System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'System, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089' or one of its dependencies. Det går inte att hitta filen."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As I said, my OS is Windows XP SP 3 and I have the following installed:
.NET Framework 2.0 SP 2
.NET Framework 2.0 SP 2 Language pack

.NET Framework 3.0 SP 2
.NET Framework 3.0 SP 2 Language pack

.NET Framework 3.5 SP 1

.NET Framework 4 Client Profile

.NET Framework 4 Client Profile language pack

.NET Framework Framework 4 extended

.NET Framework Framework 4 extended language pack

I have installed Visual Studio Express and IIS Express accordning to Frederiks guide (worked well). I have also downloaded Epi Server (but not installed it yet). I would really really like to set up a site at home and practice to get better. Can someone please help me?

Jul 03, 2011 10:18
Vote:

I deleted the folder Microsoft_Corporation in local settings application data according to a guide. And now the installation is proceeding a bit further. Iam a bit lost on the server configuration dialog box: instance network/ser, instance system,  authurity/local serv. Hm.

This is not so easy.

Jul 03, 2011 11:51
Vote:

I created a local account and it worked. But I cant connect to the server. I get "error 26, det gick inte att hitta den angivna servern."

I have installed SQL express on my local harddrive, the services SQL Server and SQL Server Bowser are running, but not SQL Server Agent.

TCP/IP is active under protocols, so is named pipes and shared memory. VIA is disabled. I have not made any changes to the settings. I restarted my computer between all changes so the service could be restarted thorughly. In Windows Firewall I have let through Server.exe and browser.exe and UDP port 1434 (according to a guide).

Here is what I want  to do:

Get better at developing with Visual Studio for making sites in Epi Server. I want to test things localy on my computer at home. I have installed the following: .NET Framework, IIS, Visual Studio with SP 1. I have not installed EPI SERVER yet and this SQL application is driving me crazy. Do I need to install EPI server and "make" a database (db_xxx as Frederiks guide says, currently offline for some reason) before I can connect to SQL server with the manager studio? Is it neccesary to enable TCP/IP in server configuration allthough Iam only want to work localy? What is pipes?

Can someone guide me through this, I would be so greatfull.

Jul 03, 2011 14:15
Vote:

Heureka I could connect! I renamed my computer name (because it couldnt be the same as my account name said a guide), and I forgot to change that in the server login.

I still would be very thankful for answers to my questions above: like why tcp/ip is neccessary for a local installation? I have no idea.

Jul 03, 2011 14:38
Vote:

AFAIK TCP/IP is not require for a local installation. For local installations you should be fine with shared memory. After you have installed all the necessary components (sql, .net, powershell...) you can start using the deployment center for installing sites (that will take care of everything for you) on your computer.

However, I would not recommend using XP as it only lets you have one site at a time. But maybe that's good enough for you :) 

And you can try to use Google's cache to view Fredrik's blog post: http://www.google.com/search?client=opera&rls=sv&q=introduction+how+to+create+a+episerver&sourceid=opera&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&channel=suggest 

Jul 03, 2011 21:28
Vote:

Hi Toni and thanks for the reply. Frederiks guide says that tcp/ip should be active, hm? Also when trying to instal EPI6 the installer says that IIS is not installed - but it is, I installed IIS express from MS platform installer. Why do I need IIS for testing local?

Also when opening IIS from the tray, it says localhost, mywebsite and a path points to my document/... Do I have to do anything with that? What part does that play in the EPI site? Should I later (after I have installed EPI) change the path to EPI/SITES...? Or will the EPI site pop up there in the list?

By the way. If someone wants to add me to msn and be a little guide in my summer studdies, that would be awesome. henrik_mathiesen@hotmail.com

I will be taking EPI courses come autum. But it would feel so good to get a grip of these things a bit at home, and also be able to program.

Edited, Jul 04, 2011 15:10
Vote:

Another question: I have downloaded EPI6, but the system requeriments says that I need the OS Windows server.
http://world.episerver.com/Documentation/Items/System-Requirements/EPiServer-CMS/Version-6/System-Requirements---EPiServer-CMS-60/ , but for "DEVELOPMENT AND DEMONSTRATION ENVIRONMENT" I can use Windows XP it says at the bottom. What does that mean?

Jul 04, 2011 16:16
Vote:

It means that you can use XP when you are developing a EPiServer site, but not when you want to deploy it live. Then you will need a real server OS.

Regarding IIS, you don't need it if you're just using Visual Studio to create the site, then you can use VS built in IIS Cassini. But if you use the deployment center you will need a real IIS. 

Jul 04, 2011 16:20
Vote:

Ok, so basacily, running an EPI Server site local (localhost) is fine with a Windows XP OS?

This guide says that I can make IIS Express run an EPI site. Hm, it seems a bit complicated.
http://world.episerver.com/Blogs/Magnus-Paulsson/Dates/2010/11/Running-EPiServer-CMS-in-IIS-Express/

Ok, so I can skip the "warning" that no IIS is installed and go on with the installation? Then I have the option of running the site with IIS Cassini or take on the challange of making IIS express run it? If I use VS Cassini, can I still go to edit mode in EPI and everyting will work the same as with IIS Express (might be a stupid question)?

You mention that I need a real IIS if I use the deployment center. That is exactly what Frederiks guide says that I should do:
"Start the deployment center: go to Start, EPiServer, and EPiServer Deployment Center. Choose the EPiServer version you’d like to install (I’m using 6.0.382.1), and click, “Install site and SQL Server database”." But it will work with VS IIS??

Thanks for the help!!

Edited, Jul 04, 2011 16:42
Vote:

I get all sorts of pop ups from the epi installer. "No IIS installed", "SQL should be configured to allow mixed authentinzion", then the installer says that an example site couldnt be created because no SQL is installed. SQL is installed.

Whats with all this problems? Is it really this confusing or am I having bad luck here?

Jul 07, 2011 9:14
This topic was created over six months ago and has been resolved. If you have a similar question, please create a new topic and refer to this one.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.